How to Photograph Minerals - a mindat.org resource page
Mineral photography is a skill requiring a good understanding of your camera settings and the lighting and positioning of your mineral specimen. This section gives easy access to some of our resources for mineral photography including important articles, message threads, equipment reviews and of course our messageboard where you can ask your own questions about how to make the perfect mineral photo.
For more general photography-related articles and discussion why not check out Jolyon's blog on Canon photography - click here.
A small selection of some of our best photos are shown below. Refresh the page to randomize the selection, click on any photo to view full screen and to view details.
- 28th August 2015 My Black BOX or . . . . new Stacking Device
- 18th May 2015 360 degree Spin Mineral Photography
- 14th May 2015 Using a Ring Light for Dark Field Illumination in ...
- 29th October 2014 Uploading Images to Mindat
- 22nd February 2016 Objective measurements
- 30th December 2018 My setup chronology
- 26th August 2014 Mineral Photomicrography with Finitive Optics
- 3rd October 2014 Setup experiments with twin bellows and a Nikon ...
- 2nd November 2015 On generating stereo images with focus stacking ...
- 11th August 2014 Macrophotography setup for high magnification and ...
- 23rd July 2014 Mineral High Resolution Photomicrography with ...
- 13th February 2014 Home made Instrumentation for Mineral Video- and ...
- 24th October 2013 Dino-Lite Digital Microscope Performance
- 12th February 2014 Equipment Test
- 26th September 2011 Creating a Variety of Photo Backgrounds from One ...
- 19th September 2011 Ideas for Simple Textured Backgrounds in ...
- 30th March 2011 Proper Photography Lighting and Setup
- 27th December 2010 Optimal f-stop for 1:1 reproduction scale
- 9th December 2010 Simple photomicrography stand for DSLR cameras
- 18th June 2013 Basic mineral microphotography
- 12th April 2010 Mineral Photography
- 28th March 2010 New photographic setup
- 18th February 2010 Improved homemade photomacroscope
- 18th June 2013 Basic mineral microphotography
- 14th July 2010 Beginners "Budget" Mineral Photography Setup
- 31st August 2008 Photomicrography
Useful Message Threads
- Photographing with glass base20:21 17th Jun 2015 - posted by Matt Courville
- easy tips for photographing minerals with ...20:33 26th May 2015 - posted by Matt Courville
- Photographing fluorescence23:01 1st Dec 2014 - posted by Dennis McCoy
- Microscope objectives as macro lenses?14:29 27th Mar 2014 - posted by Henry Barwood
- Difficult to Photograph Minerals - ...02:13 27th Mar 2014 - posted by * Unknown User *
- Tutorial: How many pictures I have to do to an ...00:23 12th Nov 2013 - posted by Fernandez Oscar
- Significant difference between Canon and Nikon ...02:35 30th Mar 2013 - posted by Henry Barwood
- Perfect Bench Photo Lighting Setup by Alan Scalone10:44 16th May 2012 - posted by Alan Scalone
- Playing around with Light and Background10:25 5th Nov 2011 - posted by Volker Betz
- cheap 5x macro objective using lens scavenged ...21:51 4th Aug 2011 - posted by Dominik Schläfli
- Sharpening photos07:26 22nd Jun 2011 - posted by Harjo Neutkens
- specimen supports.10:44 24th Nov 2010 - posted by Stephen Eglinton
- Getting better detail in photos23:48 5th Dec 2009 - posted by * Unknown User *
Recent Photography Threads
- Eye piece camera: can you share your experience?21:34 25th Nov 2019 - posted by Bruno Lüscher
- Best photographs of specimens larger than 1cm ...18:33 19th Nov 2019 - posted by Antoine Barthélemy
- Software for ADMS 201 microscope13:46 22nd Oct 2019 - posted by John Collins
- I do like a challenge05:55 21st Aug 2019 - posted by david vanhorn
- Super fast stacking with OpenCl rendering18:25 30th Jul 2019 - posted by Travis Olds
- Best smarthphone camera for minerals15:37 14th Jun 2019 - posted by Prodromos Nikolaidis
- Olympus SZ-III zoom not working19:54 25th May 2019 - posted by isaias smith
- iPhone microscope adapter20:55 29th Mar 2019 - posted by Lou Rector
- 40x - 50x lenses?21:04 19th Mar 2019 - posted by OT. Ljøstad
- Mineral Photography – Creating a photo with a ...11:33 23rd Jan 2019 - posted by Steve Sorrell
- fluorescent/halogen overlays in photos - can do?03:26 26th Dec 2018 - posted by Tony Peterson
- Photo Style10:34 26th Nov 2018 - posted by Matt King
- stereo microscope and DSLR19:48 2nd Oct 2018 - posted by Jake Trexel
- Zerene Stacker questions01:35 11th Sep 2018 - posted by Don Saathoff
- Jon Aurich, photo comments.18:29 15th Aug 2018 - posted by Larry Maltby
- POTD August 2, 2018 What are the other minerals?16:55 2nd Aug 2018 - posted by Keith Wood
- Advice on Photographing Silver or other highly ...22:04 25th Jun 2018 - posted by Andrew Debnam
- Article about Stephan Wolfsried photos on the MR20:28 1st Jun 2018 - posted by Jean-Marc Johannet
- helicon Focus best rendering mode04:17 24th Jan 2018 - posted by Kyle Kustka
- question about auto focus on cameras06:29 14th Jan 2018 - posted by Kyle Kustka
- Macro Ring Light and Olympus OM-D EM-5 Mk II ...03:06 29th Dec 2017 - posted by Scott Braley
- Camera body vs "Point-and-Shoot"16:04 22nd Dec 2017 - posted by Robert Wilken
- Cleaning lenses22:50 26th Nov 2017 - posted by Jerry Cone
- Photography Help05:12 5th Nov 2017 - posted by James Stroud
- setup // photo shoot minerals //06:00 29th Oct 2017 - posted by Emmanuel Fradin
More exceptional mineral photos
Click on any photo to view full screen and to see information on the photo.
For more excellent mineral microphotos click here to view a gallery highlighting the World of Mineral Microphotography.