Fermo meteorite, Fermo, Fermo Province, Marche, Italy
This page is currently not sponsored. Click here to sponsor this page.
|Latitude & Longitude (WGS84):||43° 10' 52'' North , 13° 45' 12'' East|
|Latitude & Longitude (decimal):||43.18111,13.75333|
|Non-native locality type:||Meteorite|
|Meteorite Class:||H3-5 chondrite meteorite|
|Meteoritical Society Class:||H3-5|
|Metbull:||View entry in Meteoritical Bulletin Database|
|Köppen climate type:||Cfa : Humid subtropical climate|
|Name(s) in local language(s):||Meteorite di Fermo, Fermo, Provincia di Fermo, Marche, Italia|
Fell 1996 September 25, ~15:30 UT
Ordinary chondrite (H3-5)
A farmer, Mr. Luigi Benedetti, heard an explosion followed a few seconds afterwards by a crash on September 25. Two days later, Mr. Giuseppe Santarelli recovered a 10.2 kg stone from the place described by Benedetti, located close to a field, 3-4 km north-east of the town of Fermo and a few kilometers from the Adriatic coast.
Classification and mineralogy (A. M. Fioretti and G. Molin, CNR; see Molin et al., 1997): a breccia of millimeter to centimeter-sized light and dark clasts in a gray matrix; one type 3 clast contains glass and has range of olivine, Fa2–27, and pyroxene, Fs2–22; an equilibrated clast has olivine, Fa18.2; matrix olivine uniform at Fa17.4. All specimens, PMVV.
4 valid minerals.
Meteorite/Rock Types Recorded
Note: this is a very new system on mindat.org and data is currently VERY limited. Please bear with us while we work towards adding this information!
Select Rock List TypeAlphabetical List Tree Diagram
Entries shown in red are rocks recorded for this region.
This page contains all mineral locality references listed on mindat.org. This does not claim to be a complete list. If you know of more minerals from this site, please register so you can add to our database. This locality information is for reference purposes only. You should never attempt to visit any sites listed in mindat.org without first ensuring that you have the permission of the land and/or mineral rights holders for access and that you are aware of all safety precautions necessary.
Sort by Year (asc) | by Year (desc) | by Author (A-Z) | by Author (Z-A)
- Cevolani G., Serra R., Haver R. (1997): A new meteorite in Italy: the Fermo chondrite. WGN, 25, 2, 89-93.
- Molin G., Fioretti A.M., Cevolani G., Carampin R., Serra R. (1997): A new fall in Italy: the Fermo H-chondrite breccia. A preliminary investigation. Planet. Space Sci., 45, 743-747.
- Cevolani G. (1998): Unusual aspects of the Fermo meteorite: composition and structure. In: Baggaley W.J. Porubcan V., eds., (1999. Meteroids 1998. Proceedings of the International Conference held at Tatranska Lomnica, Slovakia, August 17-21, 1998. Astronomical Institute of the Slovak Academy of Sciences, page 391.
- Cevolani G., Funaki M., Hvozdara M., Orlicky O., Tunyi I., Porubcan V., Pupillo G. (2001): On the origin of remanent magnetism of the Fermo H-Chondrite breccia. Supplements to Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 36, A38-A39.
- Iždinský K., Cevolani G., Kapišinský I., Zemánková M., Porubčan V. (2006): Microstructure of the Fermo meteorite. Nuovo Cimento C, 29, 6, 711-717.